Quote of the Week 306- Myth and Mistaken Assumptions
It is tragic that religious fundamentalists, on the one hand; and atheists (including, in particular, Neo-Darwinian fundamentalists) on the other tend to see no further than the literal acceptance of the Bible. Hence they base their hostility to each other regarding religious belief on the mistaken assumption that this is the true and only interpretation.
Turning first to the Intuitive aspect: It is unfortunate that neither the Creationist nor the Atheist understands the true meaning of the word ‘Myth’. It has, too often, been mis-represented as ‘Falsehood’. However, in its spiritual meaning ‘Myth’ is a symbolic story or legend used in Scripture to present a moral or wisdom teaching, but; told in the form of language usually used to describe historical events. The correct understanding of Myth is important, for it stems from the archetypal consciousness of Mankind.
--Bill Heilbronn, from The Courage of Uncertainty; A Jewish View of the Continuing Evolution of Faith in the Fields of Religion and Science
Meditation (Click your selection, scroll down to view it)
- Meditation Basics - Expanded Version
- Meditation Basics - Condensed Version
- Mantra Meditation Basics
- Jewish Yoga Meditation
- Hebrew Mantras
- Hebrew Mantras, Part Two
- Hebrew Mantras, Part Three
- Hebrew Mantras - Adonai Hineni
- Healing Meditation: Ruach El Shaddai/Breath of Balance
- Meditating, Eating and Sleeping
- Shortcuts to Spiritual Development?
CURRENT TEACHING SESSIONS
One of the leading teachers in my yoga tradition is currently on a national lecture tour. To find locations and dates, go to www.yogainternational.com. Pandit Rajmani is an excellent lecturer, and I highly recommend trying to attend one of these sessions.
The Secret of the Yoga Sutra
with Pandit Rajmani Tigunait, PhD
Spiritual Head, Himalayan Institute
The Yoga Sutra is the source wisdom of all yoga traditions. It holds the key to unlocking the mystery and power of yoga, and finding ultimate fulfillment and freedom. And Pandit Tigunait is a Master par excellence, for he embodies the profound insight and experiences of the Masters of a thousand-year-old lineage.
In this inspiring lecture and workshop, grounded in time-tested wisdom, you’ll discover the promise hidden in the Yoga Sutra, and gather the tools and means to experience the missing element of your practice. It will be like the Himalayas coming right to your doorstep.
Main topics include:
- What is the Yoga Sutra, and why its teachings are so crucial to us now
- The Yogic understanding of our body and mind, and how to tap into our innate wisdom
- How to access the power of mind and reclaim mastery over our personal world
- Reconfiguring our life for joyful and purposeful living
- A guided practice for experiencing our self-luminous join
Join Us for an evening with an Expert on what sometimes seems illusive, a life without pain....